English corrections

Information about Canada and immigration to Canada in English
kuka
Заслуженный форумчанин

Re: English corrections

Сообщение kuka » 28 фев 2013, 00:44

arrow, thank you. My English was better at school and student time :). As for Google you are talking about conspirasy not me. :D I suppose it can be lack of professionalism, good (bad) sense of humour, or just a fault. Anyway Google lies. Bad dictionary. :)

Murlokotam, I believe you about the number of words in English. Why not, if the source is not Google. :mrgreen: English is wonderful. But how you can explain that often 5 and even10 Russian words correspond to one English expression? It's not enough to have a lot of words in the dictionary but use actively in everyday life.

Moreover, English speaking people have a little bit simplified or technical way of thinking. I am not sure if the fact that English is an international language nowadays has a good influence on its active vocabulary. But it's absolutely true that you can hardly find on the streets of GTA one of ten people who's English is so elegant and tasty as arrow's, :wink: I mean not only newcomers but Canadian citizens as well. Some people who have lived in Canada for decades seem to make no progress. And the way how they speak English is a part of general impression that the language makes.
Сильное чувство всегда взаимно. Поэтому у серости - аллергия на яркость. И - наоборот.©

Aim-Canada
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Aim-Canada » 28 фев 2013, 07:41

Hi guys, what a nice topic and even more nice, bright people I have appeared to come across, by chance. Life is a real trick, you never know what's gonna be on the other side of the string, aint you? Anyaway, I would like to be welcomed and step in :D

To my deep belief, a handful of experience and a bit of kwnoledge amounts of words is not the criteria to define the richness of language and I think comparing languages is the no where, it sucks and it stinks. Hope nobody's gonna take an offend.
arrow
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение arrow » 01 мар 2013, 16:06

kuka писал(а):.... But it's absolutely true that you can hardly find on the streets of GTA one of ten people who's English is so elegant and tasty as arrow's, :wink: I mean not only newcomers but Canadian citizens as well....
kuka, I can’t deny that the fact of you complementing my English is flattering :oops: BTW I’m a Canadian citizen and for quite a while don’t even considered by anyone to be a newcomer. But I hope you haven’t seriously thought it will make me buy into your ideas. I'm certainly naïve to some degree but not that gullible. :o It remains quite a mystery to me, how the hell you would make a conclusion you’ve made about entire GTA English level? I live here since last century and still have more humble opinion about place of my English on the total GTA scale.
Coming back to comparison between languages. IMHO, the whole idea is perfect example of comparing apples to oranges. I love both of them equally. Instead of bringing more arguments which one is richer or better I would rather follow one of the English sayings I like:

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Don’t know who said that but I would follow the advice if I were you :wink:
"Лучшим каждому кажется то, к чему он имеет охоту." Козьма Прутков.
Aim-Canada
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Aim-Canada » 10 май 2013, 23:33

arrow, that last bit of your post, just killed me:)))) If it weren't thrown into my favourite Kuka I would certainly follow your advice, but in this particular case I"d rather take the fire on and stand for her.

You mentioned oranges and apples, how about pineapples? I have lived in Britain for a while and for more than a few times noticed that some old-new-comers spoke better English, and mostly native speakers were not too keen in converting their ideas into ramarkable speech, there were of course some very interesting coloquial collocations from time to time but the entire vocabulary usually was quite limited and even reserved at some extent. Of course I assume that dealing mainly with people from working class I couldn't expect more, but still... Is it guarunteed that people from midlle class in Canada are totally good at expressing in colourful style and impeccable Queen's English what they want to convey?
arrow
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение arrow » 13 май 2013, 14:19

I don't think anyone falls for “100% guaranteed” gimmick anymore. Nothing is guaranteed anyhow. You've probably heard the old saying "the only two certainties in life are death and taxes." I might be wrong, but I think Ben Franklin said this about 200 years ago and it still holds true. (For a big part of my life I thought it was made up by my Canadian born friend). Even if someone will try to use Posh (or Queen's English as you delicately put above) here, I don’t think it will be well received by his peers. Being snotty wouldn’t take you far in Canada, being modest and humble is way better accepted IMHO. I also wouldn’t deny the obvious that native speaker has a better chance to speak unaccented English, understand and use idiomatic expressions and freely navigate the culture of local English speaking society.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubts.
I guess I just went against my own advice and have all doubts removed :oops:

arrow
Заслуженный форумчанин

Re: Почему уезжают из Израиля?

Сообщение arrow » 27 июл 2013, 12:00

melotron писал(а):Man, you have the face to tell me such bullshit? Fuck it man, and stop boring your "perfect" English the paints off the rest of forum's people....
There is another hallucination of melotron. Pull your head out your ass for once and stop being such a lunatic. If you’re unable to think clearly, why wouldn't you listen to people who might know something you don’t? I would’ve gladly left you alone if you’ve stopped using you GIBBERISH and saying it is English time after time. :idea: Hate to bring you the bad news but it has never been even close to it. What part of NO you still don’t understand? Getting pissed off with me brings you nowhere. Try to learn something before you start using it on unsuspected people. I wish you the best of luck in your future studies! I’d be the first one to congratulate you on any improvement, of cause if there will be any. So far your English is just pathetic. Sorry, no offense, but it's true.
melotron
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение melotron » 27 июл 2013, 12:43

Oh dude... Why you are so worked up about my English? You should keep mum. Your comments become loathsome and do your beleive that your English is stunning? I'm not willing to keep the ball rolling with a sorta dudes like you. Mind your own buisness!
В каждой стране — от крошечного Ватикана до огромного Китая — можно легко накопать вагон и маленькую тележку проблем. Идеальные страны существуют только в мечтах поросят-трактористов и в пламенных речах оппозиционеров.
arrow
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение arrow » 27 июл 2013, 15:14

If you concern about my English, it’s still far from stunning. I have way more than humble opinion about it. But it is good enough to see the FAKE ONE like yours.
You think I worked up with your English? Maybe. What annoys me the most about it that you keep saying how good yours is and was years ago, but time after time failing to provide any readable evidence. Quite a contrary, whether you like it or not but your English suck. So stop bragging about what you don’t have and I’ll live you with your English alone no matter how repulsive your other habits are. I’ve already mentioned that, but you most probably weren’t able to comprehend the obvious. BTW the ball you dropped long time ago when you made your famous American Slang excuse :lol: :lol:
Sибирячка

Сообщение Sибирячка » 02 авг 2013, 17:58

I'd like to correct some mistakes in the previous message (the devil always finds work for idle hands ... :D ).
If you concern about my English - If you are concerned about....
your English suck - your English sucks...
What annoys me the most about it that - What annoys me most about it is that...
arrow
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение arrow » 03 авг 2013, 11:51

Sибирячка писал(а): I'd like to correct some mistakes in the…
Bravo Sибирячка. Fist post and bang on! I take my hat off to you and all those people who live and Siberia and still speak good English. My bad :oops: I'm assuming you're from that land by your nickname but please correct me if I’m wrong. Your future input would be greatly appreciated as well. BTW why wouldn’t you take your eyes one post higher and try to correct my opponent as well. As you say (the devil always finds work for idle hands ... ). I sense you might find some work for those idle hands without even going too far. I hope it wasn’t too much to ask but please don’t feel obligated. Do as you please of cause 8)
Sибирячка

Сообщение Sибирячка » 03 авг 2013, 18:37

No offence, please :D ! And I don't live in Siberia anymore....Sorry, I can't correct your opponent - one should never correct masterpieces!!!
PS. I am always happy when people correct my mistakes - both in English and Russian.
arrow
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение arrow » 04 авг 2013, 18:15

You don't even know how right you are. That’s why I never tried to top this one. It's so good the way it is. :) Why wouldn’t you tell us where are you now after you left behind your beloved Siberia? It was kinda easy to figure out that you're no longer there. Not much of a Siberian accent left. :lol: Good for you. I bet you have spent more than a few years abroad. There is no need for your home address. Just a country, state or province will do :)
Sибирячка

Сообщение Sибирячка » 04 авг 2013, 19:10

I am a Saskatchewanian now, but I don't wear a bunny hug, refuse to drink pilsner and don't want to cheer for the Roughriders, so everybody says I won't be able to settle down here :D .
arrow
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение arrow » 04 авг 2013, 21:47

What comes to mind when you think of the word bunnyhug? Bunnies hugging each other? :D That thing known to the rest of North America (when I use the term North America, I mean the United States and the rest of Canada together) as a hooded sweatshirt or hoodie. Only in Saskatchewan! :idea: You’re already more blended in than you can realize. :)
rusic
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение rusic » 16 авг 2013, 06:04

Don't use electronic devices on the plane :lol:
[center][video][/video][/center]

Ответить

Вернуться в «Canada in English»