Newcomer's discrimination in Canada

Information about Canada and immigration to Canada in English
Ответить
Matroskin
Форумский кот

Newcomer's discrimination in Canada

Сообщение Matroskin » 12 июн 2010, 13:04

Let's consider some kinds of discrimination in Canada conserning newcomers.

When I came to Canada (it was more than 5 years ago) I took the road test in order to obtain the driver license. Also I tried to find any insurance agency where I can get the lowest premium rate after that test. I was merely the security guard at that time and my wage was funny. Therefore the difference of payment in 100 dollars could burn a hole in my pocket. No kidding, but my attempt was not successful. Every agency presented its different conditions but no one wanted to accept my driver experience I got in Russia. I was really good experienced guy and my experience was equal 15 years of driving without any road accident in Russia. I supposed I got eligibility getting discount in my premium rate ensuing from my previous driving experience. I was naïve at that time. The month later, after my hard survey in insurance field I finally found Wawanesa where the official promised me to accept my driving experience document from Russia with several conditions… I suppose it was the exception only.

As result I can make the conclusion about the discrimination in Canada. The insurance premium rate for newcomers and for originally Canadians is different. I just want to ask the government officials why? Is there any essential difference in driving in Europe and Canada? Is there any essential difference in traffic regulations? No, there is not. Europe has right-hand traffic (except GB), also Russia has. Whether or no traffic rules are very similar in Canada and in Russia, thus I can declare the availability the newcomer's discrimination in Canada.
Стремление к демократии это попытка уравнять в правах мартышек и питонов.

KaNaDeC

Re: Newcomer's discrimination in Canada

Сообщение KaNaDeC » 24 июн 2010, 13:32

Regarding the driving experience i would surely add that our (russian) drivers are "brought up" in much more"extreme" environment. Imagine how much of attention and skills one need to drive a car when almost every one is trying to show his "driving skills"? This driving culture is complicated by the general roads' condition in Russia as whole. This ofcourse can differ from region to region. A good example would be the Nothern Caucasus and exactly Makhachkala (Dagestan). Yakubovich, once even gave a prize to a man who appeared to be in a studio that time. This guy said that he had an experience of driving a car in this city and had a prize))).
Timm
Местный житель

Сообщение Timm » 27 июл 2010, 19:42

Matrosking
I have to respectfully disagree! It is about your provincial licensing body to have agreements with the similar licensing organizations in other countries called Reciprocal Licensing Agreements. BC has mutual RLAs with:
Austria
Australia
Belgium
Germany
Japan
New Zealand
South Korea
Switzerland
United Kingdom or
the United States.

Ontario recognizes:
U.S.A
Japan
South Korea
Switzerland
Germany
France
Great Britain
Austria
Belgium
Australia
Isle of Man

Saskatchewan:
United States
United Kingdom (including England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar)
Switzerland
South Korea
Germany
Austria

Alberta:
Austria
Belgium
England
France
Germany
Japan
Republic of Korea
Scotland
Switzerland
United States
Wales

Quebec:
Austria
Belgium
France
Germany
Great Britain: England, Scotland, Wales
Japan
Netherlands (The): Holland, Dutch Antilles (St. Martin, Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Sabat and St. Eustache)
Republic of Korea (South Korea)
Switzerland
Taiwan
Turkey
US

and so on and so forth. BTW you'd have turn in your old license in exchange to the new Canadian one.

Now ask yourself is such agreement with Russia possible? Even neglecting the level of their corruption and the fact that in Russia you can just "buy" a license by paying a bribe?

It is not a form of discrimination but a matter of nonconformity.
Natalia Cheveleva

Сообщение Natalia Cheveleva » 28 июл 2010, 00:08

I would agree with Timm It is not a form of discrimination but a matter of nonconformity.
Personal comments: To my regrets, Russia, as a state, still doesn't care much about "the very minor issues" such a confirmation of driver's experience/ Certainly, there should be some work for diplomats, lawyers, consular services to make kind of agreement of "confirmation, or verification, or evaluation"-whatever- of driver's experience between two countries. But we don't have it. Therefore it's kind of personal problems. What I would do, if I wanted to make my insurance affordable: I would try to convince with some documents: to present some letter from my insurance company in Russia , which may confirm my "clean record"- no MVA and etc - good insurance history, I would present some kind of certificate from road patrol inspections "there are no record of violation of Road Regulations". I don't think it would help much. I went to "save driving school" in Canada, got certificate. That document really helped me to reduce cost of insurance.
Other issue:
I think that we can operate with statistic data about people who became the victims on the roads in various countries Unfortunately, I don't remember the source of info for Russia but I remember I was horrified by numbers of people killed on the roads- it's not comparable to Europe.
Very personal point of view of woman-driver: generally I can drive any car, big or small, automatic or standard, on left side of roads or right side of roads- I have some experience (I still cannot make proper parking). I wasn't afraid to drive car in USA, Europe and -nightmare- in one of Asian country. But I didn't take car (for free!!!) in Moscow or St-Petersburg for the last 10years because I was really scared. In small towns or in Baltic countries - yes, I could, I drove. I'm believe that might be some indicator why not all kind experiences can be recognized in Canada...
But I believe sooner or later more and more countries will be "on the list" in Canada. And Russia too, like any others, not a "special".
Paranoid
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Paranoid » 01 авг 2010, 14:54

Matroskin писал(а): The month later, after my hard survey in insurance field I finally found Wawanesa where the official promised me to accept my driving experience document from Russia with several conditions… I suppose it was the exception only.
I've worked there for the past year :)

catka

Сообщение catka » 04 окт 2010, 23:30

Matroskin - I would also disagree with you. There's no discrimination here whatsoever. And there's a difference in the way HOW people drive in Russia and in Canada. Are you kidding me? :) Last time I was in Moscow, and took a cab from the airport ..... OMG... I thought we were going to take off .... :) The driver was crazy! I am not saying that drivers are excellent here ... no.. there are different drivers here too... BUT that's exactly WHY they regulate this so closely. If they didn't it would be a total nightmare here! Take Chinese as an example hehe .. Have you been to Richmond .. imagine now if those people did not take the exam... hehe .. or were not closely monitored .. ...

Also, put the driving aside! From my personal experience - I am in tech field (IT / Marketing) - I never had ANY discrimination in terms of work or other fields ... It's too easy for people to say ... oh poor me... I am being discriminated .... First, I would encourage people to look at themselves in the mirror and accept Canadian reality, and adapt! And too complain. If u are going to complain then stay in Russia ... :)

Life is good people, no matter where you are! OR Life is bad .... no matter where you are! IT TOTALLY depends on HOW you make your life work FOR YOU!

Good luck all!
J. King

Сообщение J. King » 09 ноя 2010, 22:59

Matroskin писал(а): ...The insurance premium rate for newcomers and for originally Canadians is different...
There is no discrimination for newcomers...All new drivers(in Ontario) get the same treatment from insurance companies...
Matroskin
Форумский кот

Сообщение Matroskin » 11 ноя 2010, 15:10

There is no discrimination for newcomers...All new drivers(in Ontario) get the same treatment from insurance companies...
Even drivers who are from US, UK etc? :wink:
US experience is acceptable in most insurance companies, you know...
I don't think it would help much.
It is not a form of discrimination but a matter of nonconformity.
Don't forget that my Russian experience was finally accepted by Wawanessa. That means the accepting depends on insurance company or agency decision...
Now ask yourself is such agreement with Russia possible? Even neglecting the level of their corruption and the fact that in Russia you can just "buy" a license by paying a bribe?
I agree with you. I just want to ask the question. Why the Canadians recognise Russian diplomas then? Everybody can buy University diploma in Moscow underground or in the WEB, so... :wink:
Стремление к демократии это попытка уравнять в правах мартышек и питонов.

Ответить

Вернуться в «Canada in English»