English corrections

Information about Canada and immigration to Canada in English
sleep_apnia
Заслуженный форумчанин

English corrections

Сообщение sleep_apnia » 21 июн 2010, 10:54

Блондинка писал(а):I think I can't help you. I still have the same problem.
This is the one really awkward sentence :roll: My English isn't so good, but the better way to answer would be:
" I don't think I can help you, b/c I'm having the same problem..." :)

Matroskin
Форумский кот

Re: How can I recognize russian PhD in Canada?

Сообщение Matroskin » 21 июн 2010, 14:36

I'm having the same problem..."
This construction is wrong. I still have the same problem. is right.
how to say better in English my previous sentence?
How can I build last sentence correct? :)

Hey? We are finally discussing English grammar, but not subject of topic...
Стремление к демократии это попытка уравнять в правах мартышек и питонов.
Qwerti

Сообщение Qwerti » 21 июн 2010, 15:52

spqr1945 писал(а):I am going to get a PhD degree in russian university. How can I recognize it in Canada?
No need to validate. Just make it translated properly - as "PhD".
discussed earlier here:
http://www.rusforum.ca/topic4292-255.html
Jen
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Jen » 21 июн 2010, 20:18

Matroskin писал(а): This construction is wrong. I still have the same problem. is wright.
How can I build last sentence correct? :)

Hey? We are finally discussing English grammar, but not subject of topic...
Matroskin - may I correct you a little bit? Hope you don't mind..

First of all - "wright" is wrong:) The correct spelling of it is "right".

"I am having the same problem"- is a valid sentense, there is nothing wrong with it. Sounds English:) I still have the same problem is also a valid sentense, just sounds a little bit less English.

How can I built the last sentence correctly?- would be a better way of saying that, though doesn't sound 100% English to me:)
safronov

Сообщение safronov » 21 июн 2010, 22:53

Jen, and what about my sentences? Could you correct them, please? :)

Jen
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Jen » 21 июн 2010, 23:28

Matroskin - sorry, had a spelling mistake for the sentense:

How can I build the last sentense correctly?
Jen
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Jen » 21 июн 2010, 23:48

safronov писал(а): Nobody wishes to look like a fool :)
Just imagine. You write in Russian forum that you want to immigrate to Canada and have all facilities for this action (i`m speeking just about myself :)). So it looks naivly when you make mistakes in English part of the same forum at the same time. And somebody can tell you with a bit of sarcasm: "Oh! you have ALL FACILITIES! Really?"
As for me, it`s easy to read and listen smth, but it`s harder to speak and too hard to express my thoughts in written form. Espetially when I try to do it on a free topic.
But I`ll really appriciate your coorection of my mistakes. I`m ready to look like a fool. But fool, who pay nothing for a small eduction and smart advices :).
i hope, my behavour will encourage somebody to write, make mistakes and study.. and to be fool :)

ps: thanks for your correction and my on-line education)
Ок - по просьбам трудящихся переписываю как могу. Хотя перевод - не моя стихия, я когда по английски пишу думаю по английски, перевожу редко.

I think it will sound more English this way:

Nobody wants to look like a fool.
Just think about it. You proudly claim on a Russan forum that you are going to immigrate to Canada and have everything that is needed for the succesfull immigration (speaking for myself only). But if you make mistakes in English part of the same forum at the same time, someone could say (or think) with a bit of sarcasm: "Well - are you sure you have everything for succesfull immigration already? "

As for me, I have no problem with reading and listening, but it`s much more difficult to speak and to express myself in writing, especially when I am not given any particular topic for that.

I would really appreciate your correction of my mistakes (NOT English, don't know how to change that..). I`m ready to look like a fool. But fool, who pays nothing for a bit of an education and smart advice:).

I hope, my example will encourage someone to write, make mistakes and study.. and to be fool
nutick
Бегущая по волнам

Сообщение nutick » 22 июн 2010, 03:22

Matroskin писал(а): This construction is wrong. I still have the same problem. is right.
why?
I heard this sentence in american movies...
I'm having, We're understanding.... I know that's wrong structure but why they say so? :roll:
Jen
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Jen » 22 июн 2010, 03:41

Nutik - in my opinion it's nothing wrong with this structure - actually native speakers use it a lot. Just has a slightly different meaning from "I still have the same problem", but it is too difficult to explain here.
Jen
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Jen » 22 июн 2010, 04:43

safronov - I hope you didn't mind me rewriting your post - it is not easy to correct sentenses, as sometimes you just need to say smth in a different way to make it look better. I found that English is really a language of exceptions and expressions. It looks like they have an expression for every possible case in the world. So, normally, if you are not sure how to say smth and use a translated word or sentense from Russian, most probably it will be wrong and will not look (sound) natural. So the only way to become more natural is to watch movies, listen to radio and let their "expressions" stick to your mind.

One more comment - they use words "would", "could" very often, and use a lot of "glue" words like "normally", "by the way", "actually" and so on. Without those words the language will not look or sound English.
safronov

Сообщение safronov » 22 июн 2010, 09:22

Jen thanks a lot for your advices and correction.
Matroskin
Форумский кот

Re: English corrections

Сообщение Matroskin » 22 июн 2010, 12:28

may I correct you a little bit?
Sure. Unfortunately I have no enough time for doble checking my spelling. I have to do it promptly as always....

Any way every one should be aware by mistakes made in their sentences. These vital corrections are usefull for those who will venture to take IELTS test and to immigrate to Canada.
Ani
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Ani » 22 июн 2010, 14:13

Jen писал(а): "Well - are you sure you have everything for succesfull immigration already? "
Jen, your English is remarkable. I hope you wouldn't mind just a little correstion? As per the rules normally highlighted in grammar books, the usage of the adverb already is restricted to affirmative sentences (используется в утвердительных предложениях). Yet is used to build negative and interrogative sentences (отрицательные и вопросительные).

So, it should sound better this way: "Well - are you sure you have everything for succesfull immigration yet? "

Please correct me, if I'm mistaken. I've made an observation that native speakers don't always follow this rule.
Последний раз редактировалось Ani 22 июн 2010, 14:16, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Я получила работу, о которой мечтала.
Ani
Заслуженный форумчанин

Сообщение Ani » 22 июн 2010, 14:15

safronov писал(а):Jen thanks a lot for your advices and correction.
The noun advice is uncountable (неисчисляемое существительное). If you want to use the plural form, you'd better say: "pieces of advice".
Я получила работу, о которой мечтала.
Matroskin
Форумский кот

Re: English corrections

Сообщение Matroskin » 22 июн 2010, 14:31

I've made an observation that native speakers don't always follow this rule.
Ani, I'm not sure the perfect tense you used for sentence construction is correct. It looks better
I made an observation that native speakers don't always follow this rule.
:)

Ответить

Вернуться в «Canada in English»